Based in Halle, Germany
Press / Business Contact:
We are Jana Reinhardt and Friedrich Hanisch, or in short: Rat King. We create weird first-person experiences that enable players with more freedom than walking through tubes. Our emphasis lies on mainstream-incompatible designs, atmosphere and characters. This is why we love to participate in game jams, where one can work quickly on new ideas in an intense atmosphere. We use Photoshop, 3dsmax, Unity, coffee and mild confusion.
In 2004 both of us studied multimedia design at the Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design in Halle, Germany. We met there and worked together, creating game prototypes. Since back then, our concepts were dedicated to gameplay and a unique look. We plan to continue this journey, trying new types of game mechanics along the way.Games for Mobile
In the first two years of our existence we mostly created games for iOS devices, as they gave us the necessary restriction after we made huge-scoped prototypes only (for university projects). The games we made are the roguelike Pitman and the puzzle game Tumblox.Currently
Since 2012 we are working on our first-person gravity platformer with triangles, TRI. We are going to release TRI with the help of Rising Star Games on October, 9th 2014.
TRI - Release Trailer YouTube
The Making-of TRI - Starting with Ludum Dare YouTube
The Making-of TRI - The Hassle with story YouTube
Rat King Showreel YouTube
There are far more images available for Rat King, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "[About TRI:] As visuals go, this is one of the more unique and over-exaggerated worlds that I’ve come across in the indie game scene to date, with vibrant tones of orange and red painted against the towering structures found in each level. The cel-shaded aesthetic compliments the game’s East Asian themes, giving the world a somewhat mysterious aura that makes you want to explore."
- Andy Moore, The Indie Mine
- "[About TRI:] Spatial awareness. The calculated construction of triangles. Dungeons in towers. Vertiginous abysses. Wild falls. The creation of mystical paths. Reflected rays of light. Puzzles. Odd characters. Music. Transformable structures. Colours. TRI."
- Konstantinos Dimopoulos, Indiegames.com
- "[About TRI:] It's during these moments of precursor and reflection - teased by the level's close-knit and smart design - that a strange pleasure rises up in me."
- Chris Priestman, Indie Statik
- "[About TRI:] "Crazy charming aesthetics will delight fans of puzzle games.""
- Mauvais Vitrier, Game Sphere FR
The Rat King blog
In this blog we talk about festivals, events we attend and the development of all our games. ratking.de.
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Game Design, Scripting
Artist, Game Design